Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Phone Booth trio

About a year ago, I noticed that an area of construction on the corner of Fulton and Broadway had a rather artistic spin around the scaffolding. The street has been dug up and there appeared an arty orange striped arrow structure. On the street I noted three telephone booths, that alone is a vestige of an old New York. There might be one here or there, but three together is unusual.
Now, more than a year later, of course, the construction is still in progress but has evolved somewhat. The orange striping is gone, replaced with a solid blue wall. The street is repaired but there is no traffic yet. And, the three phone booths are more prominent. It caught my eye again the other day, and the blue seemed like a good background to frame the three phones (especially when I saw a green milk crate next to it). Also, it was a cloudy day, which provided a nice even light to the scene.

So, I setup and waited for people to work their way through the scene rushing by on the sidewalk. I timed the shots as people were in various spots in balance with the phones. Here are a few of them:

1) The green jacket balances the green crate in this one.
2) This one was going to be my pick of the group, as I like the urgency of the guy coming in on the right and the opposition of the girl with the orange pants heading the opposite way.
3) But, when I looked at them in a smaller format, the three figures in this one, I thought, was the most unusual.
4) The next day I went back, this time it was a sunny day so I was curious to see if it would be a different type of shot, and I actually saw a guy on the phone (what? in this day of cell phones!).

No comments: